Using a longitudinal repeated measures design of patients with bipolar disorder and healthy control subjects, our results support a potential role for biomarkers of:
- Oxidatively generated damage to nucleosides (urinary 8-oxodG and 8-oxoGuo)
- Inflammation (IL-6 and IL-18)
- Neurotrophins (BDNF)
- Glycogen synthase kinase-3b (GSK-3b)
- Expression of genes related to the arachidonic acid cascade (PTGD) and mitochondrial function and DNA repair mechanisms
- A composite gene expression measure biomarker.
A study on cerebrospinal fluid based biomarkers for bipolar disorder is ongoing. The BIO study is ongoing (see Ongoing projects)